ECO VIETNAM GROUP ORGANIZATION
EVG COMMUNITY LIBRARY
I – EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITIES
In April 2021, EVG Community Library continued to cooperate with partners and volunteers to carry out educational activities, following the Service-Learning model as follows:
1. Online English – STEM Class with students from Hong Kong PolyU
- Sunday (April 4, 2021), in the morning from 8:00 to 10:00. The number of students participating in the class was 13. They were introduced with meteorology and learned about types of clouds, rain formation, and some of the basic gases that make up the atmosphere.
- Sunday (April 11, 2021), in the morning from 8:00 to 10:00. The number of students participating in the class was 15. They were introduced with the discipline of Food Technology and learned about nutrition and weight, the main and secondary sources of nutrients in daily meals, as well as how to build a healthy diet and maintain a fit body.
- Sunday (April 4, 2021), in the afternoon from 14:00 to 16:00. 12 students participated. They learned critical thinking through geometry puzzles and logical math questions. The students enjoyed the lesson very much and actively joined in throughout the lesson. These lessons boost children’s intelligence, logical thinking, as well as improve their problem-solving and flexible computer skills.
- Sunday (April 11, 2021), in the afternoon from 14:00 to 16:00. 10 students joined in. They are introduced with basic programming through simple games and through creating backgrounds, images, names, background effects, text fonts, etc. These lessons encourage children to confidently use computers and the Scratch app to train their brain and creative mind through having fun learning with shapes and solving mental math questions.
→ Learning Attitude Observation: The children enjoyed learning and entertainment activities in the classroom, especially online games such as Kahoot; in addition to acquiring social and scientific knowledge, they also had the opportunity to interact, communicate and practice with foreign volunteers. Their participation also benefits their practice of English listening and reflecting ability and opens up the access to science and technology to apply it in life. Many shared that for the first time in their lives, they got to know about different types of clouds such as cumulus clouds, stratus clouds, cirrocumulus clouds, etc.
2. English Class – Life skills with Singaporean students
- Saturday (March 27, 2021), in the morning from 8:00 to 10:00 and in the afternoon from 2:00 to 4:00. 19 9th graders and 15 6th graders participated. They think about their own interests and passions, thereby drawing out their desires and orientations for future career possibilities through drawing activities and presenting them in front of the class.
- Saturday (April 3, 2021), in the morning from 8:00 to 10:00 and in the afternoon from 2:00 to 4:00, 15 9th graders and 16 6th graders participated. They got to learn English vocabulary on family members such as father, mother, siblings, etc. They inquired more about the family tree and did a vocabulary quiz to help them learn the lesson as quickly and accurately as possible.
- Saturday (April 10, 2021), in the morning from 8:00 to 10:00 and in the afternoon from 2:00 to 4:00, 13 grade 9 students and 12 grade 6 students participated. They learned to talk about their hobbies through pictures in English, do English grammar exercises, and so on.
- Saturday (April 17, 2021), in the morning from 8:00 to 10:00 and in the afternoon from 2:00 to 4:00, 9 grade 9 students and 6 grade 6 students participated. They got to learn presentation skills, using 2 “Cs” that are “confidence” and “eye contact” – meaning having interaction with the audience and listeners and practice giving presentations about themselves and their family.
- Saturday (April 24, 2021), in the morning from 8:00 to 10:00 and in the afternoon from 2:00 to 4:00, 10 9th graders and 8 6th graders participated. They had further practice on public speaking skills in English.
→ Learning Attitude Observation: The children were interested in the lessons. After 5 lessons, they were well acquainted with public speaking and learned some English vocabulary on topics such as family, hobbies or careers. The class took place happily, the children were united, they supported each other and responded well in class activities.
II – ENTERTAINMENT ACTIVITIES
The library is still open as usual from Wednesday to Sunday for students to come and play, borrow and read books on their demand.
Besides, on weekends, the library and its volunteers organize activities and team games for the children to have fun, communicate and interact with each other to improve teamwork skill and synergize.
Furthermore, the library is carrying out its mission of bringing books to more readers. On Thursday mornings, the library and its volunteers deliver books to elementary schools far away from the library and play with the children during recess.